CURLY KALE SLAW
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Garlic press (if you have one)
Tongs or salad servers
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Strip the ruffly leaves off of the kale’s stems by grasping the bottom of each stem and pulling your hand up along it forcefully. The leaves will come off and leave behind the tough stems, which you can throw away.
- Stack and bunch the leaves together on the cutting board and use the knife to cut across the stack so that you end up with skinny slivers of kale.
- Put the garlic, lemon juice, oil, and salt in the large bowl, then add the kale and toss it all around with the tongs. Taste it, and add more lemon, oil, or salt if it needs it, to make the flavors bright and yummy.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and walnuts, if you’re using them, and serve.
“Minced” means finely chopped
– See more at: http://www.chopchopmag.org/recipe/curly-kale-slaw#sthash.0Ihcxt9W.dpuf